Niwot High student suspended while investigation into threats continues

Classes resume Monday

NIWOT, Colo. - The principal of Niwot High School says a student has been suspended as the investigation into threats of violence continues.

Principal Dennis Daly posted a "Parent Update Letter #4" on the school's website over the weekend, giving information about the investigation into last week's threats of violence.

The principal said the student was suspended "until a number of concerns related to the incident have been resolved."

The letter also said the Boulder Sheriff's Office has received "numerous tips" that detectives have been investigating over the weekend.  Detectives have spoken with "persons of interest" in the case, Daly said.

A sweep of the school with bomb-sniffing dogs found no indications of explosive materials or devices, according to Daly.

"Although the criminal investigation continues, the sheriff’s department recommends that Niwot High open on Monday," Daly wrote. "Additional deputies have been assigned to monitor the school and patrol the grounds and neighborhood."

The school's existing security systems have been "enhanced" prior to the start of school on Monday.

Parents told 7NEWS that a threat to blow up the school was found scrawled on a bathroom wall on Jan 7.

On Jan. 10, a second written threat with a hit list of 30 names was found.

Lorne Jenkins, a senior at Niwot High, was one of the students named on the hit list.

"You always hear about it on the news and it’s terrible, but when it’s at your school it hits really close to home," said Jenkins. "It’s a real thing, and it is scary. I just hope they can figure out what happened and it doesn’t happen again."

Jenkins' mother, Ellen Ross, said she is relieved the school has taken action, but not convinced she is ready for her son to go back to class.

"I think this is probably just some kid who is disgruntled or disturbed and probably nothing more will happen because they’ve increased the police presence at the school," said Ross. "But this is my child, my first-born, so even a one percent chance this could happen, it’s still disconcerting."

The District has not released the name of the student who was suspended.

Read the principal's letter posted on the school's website.

Print this article Back to Top