Murder suspect Christopher Waide makes first court appearance in disappearance of Lea Porter

ADAMS COUNTY, Colo. - A man arrested on suspicion of murder and sexual assault in the disappearance of a young woman made his first court appearance Monday.

Christopher Adam Waide, 23, was there in handcuffs to be advised of the charges against him. However, he waived the formal reading, according to our partners at the Denver Post.

He is being held without bond in the case due to the severity of the charges.

Waide was the last person to see 19-year-old Lea Chali Porter before her disappearance.

He was arrested late Thursday night.

Her body has not been found.

The Post reported that authorities may search the Allied Waste Services Tower Road Landfill at Tower Road and 88th Avenue in Commerce City. Police spokeswoman Cheri Spottke told the newspaper that before initiating a resource intensive and expensive search of the landfill, officers want to search all other possible locations where Porter's body might be found.

According to the Porter's family, Waide confessed to killing Porter.

Waide and Porter knew each other in high school and recently connected through Facebook, investigators said.  After becoming upset with her boyfriend, Porter left Pueblo and drove up to see Waide in Westminster.

Her car was found abandoned at Waide's apartment building and has been impounded. Waide initially told police that Porter left his apartment after receiving a phone call on the night of June 3.

Since then, Waide has posted several pictures and posters of Porter on his Facebook page, asking people to  help find her. His last post on June 9 said,  "Please Lea come back to us."

Then on Thursday, after being confronted by Porter's brother and boyfriend, Waide allegedly confessed to killing her and explained how he did it. Family members recorded the confession and gave it to police.

Waide was arrested late Thursday evening. Formal charges are expected to be filed Friday.

Print this article Back to Top