Man refilling butane lighter sparks condo fire in Boulder County

BOULDER, Colo. - A man who was refilling a butane lighter sparked a condo fire that sent him to the hospital.

The Boulder County Sheriff's Office said they rushed to the condo complex at 4485 Driftwood Place Saturday night. That's near 63rd Street and Jay Road in north Boulder.

Wayne West told deputies the lighter exploded and set a pile of papers on fire.

Neighboring units were evacuated as a precaution, the sheriff's office said.

West was rushed to Boulder Community Hospital in an ambulance and treated for possible smoke inhalation, investigators said. He was later released.

The residence has substantial damage, according to the sheriff's office.

The Red Cross provided housing assistance to West and a roommate, who was not home at the time of the fire.
The official cause of the fire is still under investigation.
 

Print this article Back to Top