BOULDER COUNTY, Colo. - Louisville and Lafayette are the latest cities to issue mandatory watering restrictions.
Louisville's city council has voted to limit outdoor watering to two days a week and between the hours of 6 p.m. and 10 a.m., according to the Boulder Daily Camera newspaper. Single-family homes with odd-numbered addresses will be allowed to water on Wednesdays and Saturdays, while those living at even-numbered addresses will be able to water Thursdays and Sundays. Multi-family buildings, homes in homeowners associations and commercial properties will be allowed to water on Tuesdays and Fridays.
No installation of new turf sod or seed is allowed before September 1.
Louisville restrictions begin May 1 and remain in effect until April 30, 2014.
Fines for violating the restrictions range from a warning for a first offense to $1,000 on a fourth offense, the newspaper reported.
Lafayette's ordinance bans outdoor watering before April 16 and then only between the hours of 6 p.m. and 10 a.m. after that date.
The city is also banning the installation of lawn and turf grasses.
The newspaper said Boulder and Longmont have so far decided against imposing mandatory restrictions.
-- Other drought restrictions --
- Denver & Aurora: Denver Water, Colorado's largest water utility, and Aurora Water have issued mandatory watering restrictions starting April 1. Homes with addresses ending in even numbers may water Sunday & Thursday. Homes with addresses ending in odd numbers may water Saturday & Wednesday. All other properties (multi-family, HOAs, commercial, industrial, government) may water Tuesday & Friday.
- Castle Rock: City Council has limited watering to every third day from June through September.
- Colorado Springs: Effective April 1, outdoor landscape watering is allowed two days a week on designated days.
- East Cherry Creek Valley Water: Irrigation season begins on April 15. Watering is limited to twice per week for residential and small commercial customers.
- Fort Collins: Level 1 water restrictions began April 1. Lawn watering allowed two days per week -- even residential addresses on Thursday and Sunday, odd residential addresses on Wednesday and Saturday and commercial/businesses, multi-family and HOA on Tuesday and Friday.
- Northglenn: Encouraging residents to reduce their water use by 10 percent.
- Parker Water & Sanitation: Voluntary 3 times per week watering schedule.
- Thornton: Turf watering not allowed until after April 15. Turf can be hand-watered occasionally before that, if necessary. After April 15, turf watering is limited to twice per week.