Johnstown man arrested on suspicion of kidnapping and sexual assault of missing teen

JOHNSTOWN, Colo. - The Johnstown girl who was found Thursday morning after being missing for more than a day and-a-half was kidnapped, assaulted and held against her will, according to police.

7NEWS identified the teenager in earlier stories, while police were searching for her and after she was found. Now that police believe she was a victim of sexual assault, 7NEWS has decided not to use her name or photo in ongoing coverage.

The teen was reported missing Tuesday night and the Colorado Bureau of Investigation issued a missing child alert on Wednesday after text and Facebook messages indicated that she was in trouble.

Johnstown Police said the messages contained information that she was with a man named "Dave" and was scared.  She also said in the messages to "call the police."

David Calderon, 38, of 355 Maestas Street in Johnstown was arrested in connection with the case. The police department said he was arrested on suspicion of kidnapping, false imprisonment, unlawful sexual contact, felony menacing, child abuse and assault. More charges are expected.

Johnstown Police Chief Brian Phillips said they had received numerous tips from the community during the search for the teenager.

"Someone saw her last night with someone they know as Dave, in Greeley," said Phillips.

The teen was found at 7:45 a.m. Thursday in a home about a half-mile from police headquarters and across the street from where police say she'd been held.

"I got a knock on the door at 7:45 am," said a neighbor who wished to remain anonymous.

"A young lady was standing there, she began to tell me that she had been taken from Hays Market and was forced into a vehicle and he brought her here," said the neighbor.

Police say Calderon held her in his home for nearly two days, threatened her and made unlawful sexual contact until she was able to escape.

"She was able to leave his house when he was sleeping," the neighbor told 7NEWS.

Neighbors tell 7NEWS Calderon was a known meth dealer and was a little creepy.  Still, nobody thought he was capable of something so sinister.

"He just seemed normal, but after hearing what he did, I guess it's surprising."

Court records obtained by 7NEWS show Calderon pleaded guilty to felony possession of more than 2 grams of methamphetamine and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Calderon received a two-year deferred sentenced that allowed him to avoid jail if he stayed out of trouble, according to court records. He was ordered to serve probation and 48 hours of community service.

Print this article Back to Top