HIGHLANDS RANCH, Colo. - The Highlands Ranch area has recently been a target of vehicle burglaries and vandalism, the Douglas County Sheriff's Office says.
"Most of these crimes involve a trespass to an unlocked vehicle or to a garage where the garage door is left open," a news release stated. "Numerous vehicles have also been spray painted. "
The sheriff's office asked residents to call them about any suspicious activity, but warned homeowners not to try and apprehend the suspects.
The sheriff's office released the following tips to help deter these types of crimes.
- Lock all vehicles regardless of whether they are parked outside or inside your garage.
- Do not leave any valuables in your car whether they are parked outside or inside your garage.
- Remove all garage door openers from any vehicles parked in your driveway or on the street.
- Check and make sure your garage door is closed before you go to bed at night.
- The door from your garage to your home should always be closed and locked. Treat the entrance door from the garage to your house the same as an exterior entrance.
Residents have been urged to talk to their neighbors and ask them to report any suspicious persons or activities around their homes.
Please notify the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office immediately of any suspicious activity at 303-660-7500 or in an emergency call 911. If you have information on these crimes, you are asked to contact the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office.