Firefighters rescue unconscious person from 2-alarm apartment fire on S. Quebec St. Tuesday morning
Crews rescued 14 people and 1 pet
Last Updated: 49 days ago
ARAPAPHOE COUNTY, Colo. - Firefighters rescued an unconscious person from an apartment fire on South Quebec Street a little after 3:30 Tuesday morning.
Crews rescued a total of 14 people from the Woodhaven Apartments at 2450 S. Quebec St. Eleven people were rescued using a ladder and three were on the ground floor, Cunningham Fire Chief Jerry Rhodes said. Crews also rescued one animal.
The unconscious person was found on the third floor. That person was taken to Aurora Medical Center then transported to the University of Colorado Burn Center, Chief Rhodes said. The extent of that person's injuries are not known -- the CU Burn Center treats everything from smoke inhalation to severe burns.
One other person was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.
"The biggest danger in this particular fire was the heavy smoke conditions," Rhodes said. "It’s the carbon monoxide and the smoke that kills the people."
Resident Isaac Brook said he woke up to deputies pounding on his door.
"When I opened the door, police were running down the hallways telling everyone to get out, there’s a fire," Brook said.
At least six fire trucks from the Cunningham Fire Department, South Metro Fire Rescue and the Aurora Fire Department were at the apartment complex when 7NEWS Reporter Lindsey Sablan arrived, along with several Arapahoe County Sheriff's Department cars and multiple ambulances.
"When you have an apartment building in the morning heavily charged with smoke [and] a fire burning you absolutely need all hands on deck," Rhodes told Sablan.
Crews on scene told Sablan the fire started on the third floor apartment.
"One of the complications with this fire, is the fire took out one of the stairwells which complicated the rescues," said Rhodes.
That wasn't the only challenge firefighters faced.
"This is an older structure, it does not have sprinklers," Rhodes stated.
An official from Cunningham fire said the location where the fire started seemed unusual for it to have been accidental.
The investigation continues.
Rhodes said firefighters had the fire out within 11 minutes.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.