DENVER - Eleven bank robberies in Aurora, Denver and Colorado Springs are all being linked to the same suspect, nicknamed "The Clearinghouse Bandit" by the FBI.
FBI spokesman Dave Joly said the name was selected because witnesses described him carrying what appeared to be a magazine during the crimes. Surveillance photos also appear to show him holding a magazine.
Publishers Clearing House is a company that offers discounted magazine subscriptions.
The bandit enters the bank, presents a demand note, takes the mony and flees, Joly said.
The heavy-set robber is described as black man, who is between 25 and 40 years of age, stands about 6-feet to 6-feet 5-inches tall and weighs between 220 and 260 pounds.
He is believed to be responsible for these eleven robberies:
- 8/1/2012, Wednesday, 12:35 p.m. - TCF Bank, 640 16th St., Denver,
- 8/20/2012, Monday, 2:45 p.m. - Public Service Credit Union, 815 N. Colorado Blvd., Denver,
- 9/19/2012, Wednesday, 12:00 p.m. - Public Service Credit Union, 1113 N. Abilene St., Aurora.
- 9/25/2012, Tuesday, 12:34 p.m. - Space Age Federal Credit Union, 2495 S. Havana St., Aurora.
- 9/25/2012, Tuesday, 12:48 p.m. - Public Service Credit Union, 815 N Colorado Blvd,, Denver.
- 10/3/2012, Wednesday, 11:19 a.m. - Chase Bank, 2986 N. Speer Blvd., Denver.
- 10/19/2012, Friday, 10:25 a.m. - Compass Bank, 4988 N. Federal Blvd.. Denver.
- 10/24/2012, Wednesday, 10:55 a.m. - Chase Bank, 747 S. Colorado Blvd., Denver.
- 10/31/2012, Wednesday, 4:20 p.m. - Security Services Federal Credit Union, 1901 N. Academy Blvd., Colorado Springs.
- 11/1/2012, Thursday, 11:07 a.m. - Credit Union of Colorado, 13732 E. Quincy Ave., Aurora.
- 11/1/2012, Thursday, 12:37 p.m. - Wells Fargo Bank, 1777 W. 38th Ave., Denver.
If you recognize the suspect, you're asked to call the FBI Rocky Mountain Safe Streets Task Force at 303-629-7171 or Crime Stoppers at 720-913-STOP (7867).