DENVER - Just over a month before the man suspected of killing Colorado's prison chief was released, he ominously told an officer "he had a 'lot to do' when he got out."
The remark is recounted in a document showing Evan Ebel was charged with disobeying a lawful order on December 15, 2012. As a result of the incident he was penalized and placed back into the highest level of solitary confinement.
Administrators reviewed Ebel's status twice in the remaining 44 days of his incarceration. Both times it was determined that he should continue to be classified among the most dangerous and disruptive of Colorado's inmates.
When he was released, on January 28, 2013, he was put in a special supervision program for the most dangerous parolees.
Despite all of that, the newly released Department of Corrections records reconfirm that it took five days for parole officers to obtain an arrest warrant after Ebel cut off his ankle monitor on March 14. By the time of the search, Nate Leon had already been gunned down and the director of the DOC had just hours to live.
The March 19, search of Ebel's home lasted just five minutes, from 4:20 p.m. to 4:25 p.m.
CALL7 Investigator Theresa Marchetta confirmed with a source that one of the officers involved in that search was Ebel's assigned parole officer. That officer was part of a team specializing violent, gang-affiliated offenders.
Officers in that unit get additional training and smaller case loads. Those accommodations are supposed to enable them keep a handle on their dangerous wards.
About four hours after the search, around 8:30 p.m., DOC Chief Tom Clements was gunned down in the entryway of his home in Monument.
Ebel is suspected of using Leon's Domino's Pizza delivery gear in that murder.
Two days later, Ebel was fatally shot during a shootout with Texas police that followed a high-speed chase.
As 7NEWS reported Thursday, Ebel's handwritten prison grievances show the man suspected of killing Colorado's prison chief did not want to be released directly from solitary confinement into society.
He wrote the identical question in at least three of his grievances, "Do you have an obligation to the public to reacclimatize 'dangerous' inmates to being around other human beings prior to releasing them into society after they have spent years in solitary confinement & if not, why not?"
The records, however, show that Ebel declined to attend his final administrative segregation review prior to his release. That review could have resulted in the relaxation of his security and granted him more privileges, but instead the recommendation was to maintain his classification at Level I -- the highest level.
It was the same decision that came out of the previous hearing ten days earlier and countless others during Ebel's eight years in prison.
At one point, about a month before his release, the documents quote a insolent remark Ebel told to the officer in the control center of his cell block.
"I have 20 more days and I don't care if I get gassed every night, I will keep you here after 10:00 p.m."
A few months before that, the DOC records show that Ebel denied being affiliated with the white supremacist prison gang called the 211 Crew. A roster mentioned in the report, however, listed him as an "enforcer-probationary."
The files released Friday include hundreds of pages. They contain details of Ebel's violent outbursts in prison, childhood habitual drug use, the robbery that first landed him in prison and a strained relationship with his mother.
The 11th Judicial District has confirmed that Ebel was released from prison four years early, due to a mistake in how the Fremont County District Court communicated a sentence to the Department of Corrections. Because of the mistake, Ebel was allowed to serve his sentence for assaulting a prison guard simultaneously to his other sentence, instead of consecutively.