'Ear wax' explosion sends 4 to hospital

Steamboat Springs condo damaged

STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, Colo. - Four people were injured in Steamboat Springs when a marijuana-hash concoction exploded, police said.

Assistant Police Chief Bob DelValle told the Steamboat Pilot newspaper that police think the explosion happened as four teenagers, who were 15 to 18 years old, were making a marijuana concentrate called "ear wax."

The explosion happened Thursday evening on the top floor of the three-story Pines condominiums at 435 Ore House Plaza and was large enough to blow out windows. The explosion set off the sprinkler system inside the building, causing water damage to other condos, the newspaper reported.

DelValle said the parents of one of the teenagers hurt in the explosion own the condo.

All four teens -- three boys and a girl -- were taken to Yampa Valley Medical Center and one of them was later flown to a Front Range hospital for further treatment, the newspaper reported.

The process of turning marijuana into earwax hash involves using butane, according to Internet articles on the subject. The hash presumably gets its name from its resemblance to ear wax.

Read more at the Steamboat Pilot: http://ch7ne.ws/13MdcZq

Print this article Back to Top