DENVER - The Denver County Fair is still more than a week away, but there are competitions and some special discounts you'll want to know about before you go.
-- Special ticket deals
- Discount tickets: Cosplayers and costumers get 2-for-1 admission. Express yourself and add to the spectacle! Dress up with a friend and you’ll both get in for the price of one ticket - $10.
- Pre-sale tickets: Weekend tickets are $8 through June 30, $10 after that. Children 5-12 years old, seniors and military get in for half price. (Children under 5 are free.)
- You can be a pie judge! For a $35 ticket you can sample at least 8 pies of your choice. You must report to the Kitchen Pavilion at 4:30 p.m. Friday and be prepared to stay until 7 p.m. A limited number of tickets are available!
-- Food competition deadlines
Want to win the Blue Ribbon pie competition? Or take home the title for best homebrewed beer? Or be crowned the king of cake decorating? The deadline for all non-marijuana related contests is Friday, July 25 at midnight! (That deadline has passed - entries had to be pre-judged because marijuana is not allowed on the premises.)
Competitions are open to all Colorado residents with an in-state address.
Enter online here: http://www.denvercountyfair.org/competitions/
Also, on Monday, July 28, competition categories available for walk-in entries will be announced at www.denvercountyfair.org.
Twenty percent of all competition entry fees are going to local charities, including SAME Cafe, Maxfund and NORML.
-- Other contests
You may be prepared for some of these already (or have enough time to pull them off before the July 25 deadline):
- Best Backyard Chicken Coop (Animal Pavilion)
- I Heart Denver Theme Poetry (Arts Pavilion)
- Peeps Diorama (Craft Pavilion)
- Space & Sci-Fi model building (Geek Pavilion)
- Cake Decorating and Molded Gelatin Dessert (Kitchen Pavilion)
- Best Denver Sport Fan Tattoo (Sports Pavilion)
-- Live competitions you may want to prepare for
Several live competitions are free to enter at the fair, 5 minutes before the posted time, including:
- Bug eating
- Corn Hole
- Drag Queen Pageant
- Human Chicken Impression
- Pepper eating
- Pugs vs. Chihuahua Races
- Speed Joint Rolling
- Speed texting
- Rotten Sneaker Contest
- Zombie Beauty Pageant
As organizers say, "This is not your grandma's county fair."
Find more information here: www.denvercountyfair.org