DENVER - You probably already know that when the Denver Broncos take on the San Diego Chargers in the AFC Divisional Playoff Game Sunday, it will be the third time the two teams have faced off this season.
But here are some more interesting facts about the matchup, courtesy the Denver Broncos:
- The Broncos and the Chargers have never faced off in a playoff game before. It's only the 5th time the Broncos have played a divisional opponent in the playoffs. (The team is 2-2 in those games.)
- The Broncos are 18-17 in post season play, but 13-4 in home playoff games.
- The Broncos have played the Chargers 108 times since their first meeting in 1960. The Broncos have won 58 of those games, lost 49 of those games and had one tie.
- The most points the Broncos have scored against the Chargers is 50 in October 1963.
- The most points the Chargers have scored against the Broncos is 58 in a game just two months later, in December 1963.
- The Broncos average 21.4 points against the Chargers.
- The Chargers average 21.8 points against the Broncos.
- The Broncos and Chargers have had high scoring games and low scoring games. In October 1963, the two teams scored 84 points ( Broncos 50, San Diego 34). In October 1979, the two teams scored 7 points (Denver 7, San Diego 0).
-- Connections between the players and coaches:
- Chargers WR-KR Eddie Royal played four seasons (2008-2011) with the Broncos.
- Broncos CB Quentin Jammer played 11 seasons (2002-12) for the Chargers.
- Denver's DE Shaun Phillips spent nine seasons (2004-12) with San Diego.
- Broncos G Louis Vasquez played for the Chargers for four seasons (2009-12).
- Denver WR Wes Welker signed with San Diego as a college free agent in 2004 and played one game for
the Chargers as a rookie.
- You may know Chargers Head Coach Mike McCoy worked as the offensive coordination for the Broncos in 2011-2012. But did you know he also worked on Broncos' Head Coach John Fox’s staff in Carolina.
- During McCoy's time in Carolina, he worked with Broncos' Defensive Coordinator Jack Del Rio (2002) and Offensive Line Coach Dave Magazu (2003-08).
- Del Rio coached one season (1997) with Chargers Defensive Coordinator John Pagano in New Orleans.
- Fox was the defensive coordinator in Oakland in 1995 when San Diego Special Teams Coordinator Kevin Spencer was on staff and held the same position.
- Broncos Quarterbacks Coach Greg Knapp, Linebackers Coach Richard Smith and Quality Control/Defense Chris Beake each coached one season (2000) in San Francisco with Chargers Linebackers Coach Joe Barry.
- Denver Offensive Coordinator Adam Gase spent one season in Detroit with San Diego Wide Receivers Coach Fred Graves (2005) and Barry (2007).
- Knapp was on the Oakland coaching staff with Chargers Defensive Line Coach Don Johnson for two seasons (2007-08).
- Broncos Wide Receivers Coach Tyke Tolbert coached one season (2003) with Chargers Secondary Coach Ron Milus in Arizona.
- Milus was on Fox’s coaching staff for two seasons (2009-10) in Carolina and two seasons (2011-12) in Denver.
- Milus spent time in Carolina with Denver Special Teams Coordinator Jeff Rodgers (2009-10), Assistant Secondary Coach Sam Garnes (2010), Magazu (2009-10), Smith (2009-10) and Tolbert (2010).
- Denver Tight Ends Coach Clancy Barone, Offensive Consultant Alex Gibbs, Knapp and Beake each spent three seasons (2004-06) in Atlanta with San Diego Running Backs Coach Ollie Wilson.
- Broncos WR Wes Welker was teammates with Chargers RB Ronnie Brown for two seasons (2005-06) in Miami.
- Broncos CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and T Winston Justice played one season (2011) in Philadelphia with Brown.
- Denver LB Paris Lenon was teammates with San Diego CB Richard Marshall for one season (2011) in
- Welker (2010-12) and CB Tony Carter (2010) each spent time in New England with San Diego RB Danny Woodhead.
Big thanks to the Denver Broncos for sharing this information.