Deadly head-on crash involving church group in school bus in Teller County kills 1, injures 8

Students were on rafting trip

TELLER COUNTY, Colo. - One person was killed and 8 others were injured when a pickup truck crossed into an oncoming lane and slammed head-on into a school bus on Highway 24 east of Florissant this morning.

The church school bus was carrying 52 people, most of them students who were on their way to Buena Vista for a rafting trip.

The extracurricular trip was part of two-week student leadership conference at Summit Ministries in Manitou Springs.

The organization’s website lists the whitewater rafting trip with Noah’s Ark Colorado Rafting.

The bus left Manitou around 6 a.m.

Trooper Nate Reid, of the Colorado State Patrol, told 7NEWS that the crash happened at mile marker 273 at 6:40 Sunday morning.

"The GMC pickup was eastbound on U.S. 24 in Teller County, when it veered into the westbound lanes and hit the bus,” Reid said.

The driver of the pickup, identified as Glenn Crow, 42, of Colorado Springs, died at the scene.

When asked if investigators know why the pickup driver crossed into the oncoming lane, Reid said, "We don't know. Obviously there will be some toxicology reports and things like that to come, but as of right now, we don't know."

 “Our thoughts are with his family,” said Summit Ministries President Jeff Myers.

Myers told 7NEWS that the driver of the school bus is a registered nurse.

“She was not injured,” Myers said. “She was able to provide medical assistance to those who were.”

Trooper Reid said that 8 of the 52 bus passengers were transported to Memorial Hospital in Colorado Springs with minor injuries.

“They suffered bumps and bruises,” Myers said. “All but three have been released from the hospital.”

“As president of the Ministry, all I can say is that it could have been a lot worse,” Myers said. “We’re grateful for good equipment and quick thinking on the part of our staff.  Clearly, the Lord had his hand on the students.  They were safe.”

Highway 24 was shut down for several hours while the State Patrol investigated the crash.

The highway has been reopened.

Print this article Back to Top