Cigarette, high winds combine for fire scare next to golf course
Last Updated: 94 days ago
The conditions are so dry and so dangerous a cigarette started a fire next to a metro golf course on Sunday afternoon.
Cell phone video shows a fiery scare in Green Valley Ranch: fierce winds pushing a brush fire.
Kenny Anderson, head golf professional at the Green Valley Ranch Golf Course said someone dropped a cigarette on a walking trail, sparking the blaze.
Video showed firefighters frantically trying to stop the flames from spreading.
The fire came as a windy haze hung over Denver with Chinook winds of up to 50 mph pushing over the region.
At DIA, the wind caused air traffic to slow, causing delays of up to 15 minutes for many arriving flights.
The wind, caused a red flag warning to be issued for several metro counties - the weather and continued drought conditions combining to increase the fire danger.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.