DENVER - The Better Business Bureau is warning consumers about a roofing company that took homeowners money and has apparently disappeared.
Complaints about Green Star Construction, based in Aurora, started coming in at the end of April, according to the BBB.
Customers said the company took thousands of dollars up front for storm damage repairs and roof replacements, but never finished the work, and in some case, didn't even start the work.
"The company has not responded to any recent complaints or the BBB’s requests for a meeting to discuss the pattern of complaints," BBB officials said in a news release. "As a result, the BBB issued the company an F rating, the lowest rating possible."
The BBB said some customers said Green Star Construction workers approached homeowners and offered to pay insurance deductibles and file insurance claims on their behalf.
The BBB recommends:
- Get three estimates before making a decision and don't be pushed into signing a contract right away.
- Contact the BBB to check on companies.
- Be wise when making deposits. Do not pay for the entire job or make a large down payment up front and do not sign your insurance check over to the roofer. This can make it very difficult to get your money back should the company not show up or do a satisfactory job. Only make a direct, portioned down payment to a reputable, established company that has provided a clear work schedule to you in writing. Schedule payments according the work schedule.
- Roofers must provide the homeowner with a detailed, written contract that includes the company's contact information, insurance, scope of work, dates of service and costs. Also, homeowners have the right to cancel their contract within three business days (this includes Saturdays).
- Make sure the permit is posted before the work begins.
The BBB is still processing complaints against the company and encourages anyone affected to file complaints at denver.bbb.org, as well as with the Colorado Attorney General and with the 18th Judicial District Attorney’s office at 720-874-8547.