Baby burned on stove in a Denver home was accident, not crime, DA says
PD: Teen may have accidently bumped stove switch
Last Updated: 39 days ago
DENVER - The Denver District Attorney's Office said Friday it won't file criminal charges in the case of an infant who was seriously burned when a teen set the child's car seat on a stove in a Montbello home.
The homeowner's 15-year-old daughter apparently set the car seat on the stove and turned away to tend to other children inside the home in the 5500 block of Elkhart Street, The Denver Post reported.
Neighbors and state officials said residents of the home were operating an unlicensed daycare.
At the time of the Oct. 17 fire, police said the teen may have accidentally hit the burner switch on when she set the car seat down.
The baby girl, who was about 11 months old, suffered burns over 15 percent of her body.
"We looked at the totality of the circumstances," district attorney's spokeswoman Lynn Kimbrough told the newspaper. "It was found that it was just an accident. It wasn't criminal."
Neighbors said many parents would drop their young children off daily at the home, but the Colorado Department of Human Services had no record of a day care there. A child care operator needs a license to look after more than one family's children and the homeowners could potentially face civil sanctions.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.