Aurora declares Stage 1 drought, limits watering to 2 days per week
Last Updated: 254 days ago
AURORA, Colo. - Aurora made it official Monday night -- the city is limiting its residents to twice a week watering this year.
Aurora's City Council passed a resolution Monday night declaring a Stage I drought and implemented two day per week watering restrictions until September 30.
- Addresses that end in an odd number will water Wednesdays and Saturdays
- Addresses that end in an even number will water on Thursdays and Sundays
- All other properties (multi-family, HOAs, commercial, industrial, government): Tuesdays and Fridays
"This watering schedule mirrors most of the other Front Range communities, including Denver Water," according to a news release from Aurora Water.
However, Aurora Water said its drought restrictions do not include surcharges or other fees.
As of Monday, Aurora’s reservoirs were at 47 percent of capacity, a level officials said has not been seen since 2002.
-- Other drought restrictions --
- Denver: Denver Water, Colorado's largest water utility, declared a Stage 2 drought last month and issued mandatory watering restrictions starting April 1. Homes with addresses ending in even numbers may water Sunday & Thursday. Homes with addresses ending in odd numbers may water Saturday & Wednesday. All other properties (multi-family, HOAs, commercial, industrial, government) may water Tuesday & Friday.
- Castle Rock: City Council has limited watering to every third day from June through September.
- Colorado Springs: Effective April 1, outdoor landscape watering is allowed two days a week on designated days.
- East Cherry Creek Valley Water: Irrigation season begins on April 15. Watering is limited to twice per week for residential and small commercial customers.
- Fort Collins: Level 1 water restrictions began April 1. Lawn watering allowed two days per week -- even residential addresses on Thursday and Sunday, odd residential addresses on Wednesday and Saturday and commercial/businesses, multi-family and HOA on Tuesday and Friday.
- Northglenn: Encouraging residents to reduce their water use by 10 percent.
- Parker Water & Sanitation: Voluntary 3 times per week watering schedule.
- Thornton: Turf watering not allowed until after April 15. Turf can be hand-watered occasionally before that, if necessary. After April 15, turf watering is limited to twice per week.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.