Arvada townhome evacuated after gas leak
Residents displaced for night
Last Updated: 77 days ago
ARVADA, Colo. - Residents of an Arvada townhome were unable to sleep at home Saturday night after a gas leak.
Arvada Fire Department spokesman Scott Pribble said 20 residents were evacuated after a gas line broke after some construction work Saturday evening.
A resident noticed the sound and smell of the leak and called 911. Pribble said fire crews evacuated everybody at the townhome on the 6400 block of West 80th Avenue as Xcel Energy crews shut off the gas.
Crews put a temporary patch up and will be back Sunday to put a permanent fix up, Pribble said.
The leak happened after part of a sidewall of a trench collapsed. Pribble said a contractor was doing work at the complex earlier Saturday and dug the trench.
Residents were originally going to be let back into their homes after the gas had safely dissipated, Pribble said. But the power was cut off to the building as a precaution to not spark an explosion.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.