Arvada family, dog pulled from home filled with carbon monoxide

ARVADA, Colo. - An Arvada fire crew pulled a family and their small dog out of a house filled with carbon monoxide Tuesday.

The rescue occurred at a home on the 10000 block of West 80th Drive.

When the firefighters entered the home, a small carbon monoxide monitor that firefighters carry on their equipment alerted the crew that they were entering a dangerous atmosphere.  

According to authorities, the monitor showed that there were over 800 parts per million of carbon monoxide inside the home -- a potentially life-threatening amount.  

The residents were treated and transported to a hospital while the dog was given oxygen and transported to a local veterinarian by Arvada Animal Control.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can be deadly even at low levels. The only way to truly know if you have a carbon monoxide problem is by having a CO alarm. 

By law in Colorado, each home is required to have at least one working CO alarm on each level. 

There was a carbon monoxide alarm in the family's home, but crews said it had been disabled.  

Print this article Back to Top