Andrew de Bartolome gets probation in Centaurus High School bomb case

LAFAYETTE, Colo. - The teen accused of bringing a bomb to Centaurus High School in Lafayette last year was sentenced to three years of juvenile probation Monday after reaching a plea deal with prosecutors, according to our partners at the Denver Post.

The newspaper reported that 17-year-old Andrew de Bartolome pleaded guilty to one count of possession of an explosive or incendiary device and one count of menacing and prosecutors dropped charges of attempted murder, use of an explosive device and one other count of menacing.

De Bartolome was accused of bringing a bomb to Centaurus High School in Lafayette on May 13. The device was found in a paper bag by a teacher. The teacher took it outside and the bomb squad later detonated it.

Defense attorneys said the charges are extreme for the situation.

"No one was harmed," attorneys said.

Prosecutors said de Bartolome posed a "future threat."

"I will kill people I don't like," de Bartolome wrote in a spiral notebook found in his home, a detective testified during a preliminary hearing last August. "I have a list of people I want to kill. I want to kill people who have bullied, teased or made fun of me."

Detectives also testified that the bomb squad had been called to de Bartolome's home before this incident.

Defense attorneys argued that de Bartolome had no intention of hurting anyone. 

Print this article Back to Top