4 people stabbed in parking lot at Sports Authority Field at Mile High as Denver Broncos game ends

All suspects taken into custody, police said

DENVER - Four people were stabbed Thursday night just outside Sports Authority Field at Mile High as the Broncos game was letting out, according to the Denver Police Department.

Three male victims were transported to the hospital -- one in critical condition and the other two in stable condition, police said. A fourth person believed to have been stabbed has not yet come forward and has not sought help, Denver police Sgt. Steve Warneke said.

The three victims were conscious and talking when they arrived at the hospital, Warneke said.

Three men are in custody and investigators are not looking for any other suspects, police said. Those suspects have not been identified.

The first call to police came in at 9:55 p.m. and it was reported as a large fight in Lot F near Dick Connor and Federal Boulevard, Warneke said.

There's no word yet on what caused the fight, police said.

The fight and ensuing stabbing occurred as fans were making their way to their cars after the Denver Broncos' 27-20 loss to the San Diego Chargers.

"Stadium Management Company is aware of an incident that occurred in a parking lot adjacent to Sports Authority Field at Mile High. We are currently working with authorities to gather more information," the stadium management company said in a statement.

Denver police said that they will be interviewing witnesses throughout the night and processing the scene to determine what happened.

Two weeks ago, on Dec. 1, just after the Broncos played the Kansas City Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium, a Chiefs fan was found dead in a parking lot at Arrowhead. Kansas City investigators have ruled Kyle Van Winkle's death a homicide, but say it could be weeks before they know what exactly killed Van Winkle.

Van Winkle apparently left the stadium during the Broncos-Chiefs game and went to the parking lot, where he got into a green Jeep that looked like the vehicle he came to the game in, Kansas City police spokesman Tye Grant said. The Jeep's owner found Van Winkle inside the vehicle and investigators say a struggle ensued and Van Winkle collapsed.  Van Winkle was taken to a hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

Four people were taken into custody for questioning following the incident, but no one was charged.


Print this article Back to Top