31 students taken to hospital after noxious odor from tank under classroom causes headaches, nausea

DURANGO, Colo. - Authorities say 31 students were taken to a hospital after a noxious odor emanating from sinks and drains in a middle school science classroom caused headaches and nausea in southwestern Colorado.

The Durango Herald reports a bus transported 11 students to the hospital, and seven ambulances took the remaining 20 students after a gas leak at Ignacio Junior High School was reported at about 11:30 a.m. Monday.

The students' conditions were not immediately known.

A tank under the classroom that collected sediment from a floor drain and from the drains of several sinks in the room was plugged, forcing the gas to back up and causing the smell to emanate from all the drains.

Authorities were uncertain about the mixture of the gas, but no explosive readings were detected.

Print this article Back to Top