GUNBARREL, Colo. - Boulder County authorities say another poisoned meatball has been found in Gunbarrel Park and up to three dogs might have previously eaten tainted meatballs at the same park.
Heidi Prentup with Boulder County confirmed that a eighth toxic meatball was found Wednesday morning in the park.
The raw meatballs initially found Monday night in the neighborhood park located at 5150 Buckingham Rd. They contained green chunks of rat poison, according to the Boulder County Sheriff's Office. Two more were found on Tuesday, before a seventh and eighth found Wednesday.
Investigators believe the poisoned meatballs were left for pets to consume. The meatballs are slightly smaller than the average car key.
Veterinarians are monitoring the three dogs.
If there is any chance that your pet may have consumed the poison, it should be taken to a veterinarian immediately, experts warn. It can take two to three days before an animal begins to show symptoms and by then it may be too late to treat.
Symptoms include lethargy, decreased appetite, pale gums, difficulty breathing and unexplained bleeding or bruising, according to Matt Booth of Alpenglow Veterinarian Clinic in Boulder.
If you find one, please report it to the Boulder County Sheriff’s Office.
If anyone has information that would assist in the investigation, we encourage them to call the Boulder County Sheriff’s Office at (303) 441-4444. You may reference case number 14-1915.