3 arrested in llama's death after animal spotted on Trinidad State Junior College

TRINIDAD, Colo. - Three people have been arrested in the death of a llama first spotted roaming the Trinidad State Junior College campus last week.

Cody Kissman, 18, and a 17-year-old male were arrested on Monday.

A second 17-year-old turned himself in to the Trinidad Police Department Tuesday morning.

Kissman and one 17-year-old male are facing a charge of aggravated cruelty to animals, a felony. The other 17-year-old is facing a charge of conspiracy to commit aggravated cruelty to animals, which is also a felony.

-- Campus llama --

The llama was first spotted on the Trinidad State Junior College campus April 16.

School officials said the Trinidad Police Department was called in to assist with removing the llama, because it wouldn't let anyone near it.

Officers attempted to round up the animal, but it ran off toward the western edge of the city limits.

"Officers followed it to the edge of the city limits, where it went into the foothills," school officials said on Facebook.

-- Llama found dead --

The llama was later found dead near Atchison Canyon.

A veterinarian completed a necropsy on the llama at the request of Trinidad Police. The necropsy revealed that the slit on the llama's neck was 5 inches long and had cut the trachea, esophagus and the left and right jugular and carotid arteries.

The veterinarian determined that a puncture on the right abdomen area of the llama was made with what appeared to be a broad head arrow. It penetrated the llama's stomach and small intestines. 

After interviewing the parties involved, officers determined that the llama was shot with an arrow by a 17-year-old  using a longbow. The llama's throat was then slit by Cody Kissman, 18, police said.

Investigators said the second 17-year-old did not actively participate in the death of the llama, but was found to have acted in a conspiracy.

Police said the teens posted pictures of themselves with the dead llama on Facebook.

-- Another arrest possible --

Trinidad Police said a fourth person is under investigation in the case and could face charges.

Print this article Back to Top