A grease fire may be to blame for a two-alarm apartment fire in Castle Rock Friday morning.
2-alarm fire burns 4 apartments in Castle Rock
CASTLE ROCK, Colo. - A grease fire may be to blame for a two-alarm apartment fire in Castle Rock Friday morning.
The fire started about 3:15 a.m. in the 900 block of South Street, near South Ridge Elementary School.
A firefighter told 7NEWS they found a pan of grease on a stove that burned, possibly igniting the fire.
A resident in a lower unit told firefighters some pizza boxes were near the stove when a fire started.
"They did see that some boxes close to their kitchen area caught fire," said Castle Rock Fire chief Art Morales live on 7NEWS.
Morales said the resident tried to put out the fire, but it quickly spread to three other apartments.
"We had heavy fire in this structure," Morales said. "It went from the lower occupancies up through the second floor ones."
Four units were damaged. Eight people in three units escaped without injury. The fourth unit was unoccupied.
Morales said it took 20 minutes to get the fire knocked down and about 45 minutes to completely extinguish the fire.