13 affected by hazmat situation at Colorado College in Colorado Springs

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Thirteen patients were sickened after a hazmat situation at Colorado College in Colorado Springs.

Firefighters were called the Colorado College science building at 1030 N. Nevada Ave. at about 3 p.m. Wednesday on a report of a smoldering smell and smoke.

Colorado Springs Fire Department spokeswoman Sunny Smaldino said Olin Hall was evacuated.

At least six people were taken to hospitals to be checked out, according to the Gazette.  The remainder could be seen outside the building, wrapped in blankets provided by the fire department.

People who were in the building when it was evacuated told KRDO TV that the smoke came from the basement. 

Firefighters were searching the building to make sure everyone got out OK as others investigated the source and type of the acrid smoke smell.

Print this article Back to Top