James Lohr arrested after throwing gun from car during chase

Police recover gun shown being picked up in video

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Police have arrested one of the two wanted men whose names came up during the investigation into the murder of Colorado prison chief Tom Clements.

Investigators said 47-year-old James Lohr tossed a gun from his car as he was being chased early Friday.

Colorado Springs Police said officers tried to pull  Lohr over at 1:30 a.m. as he was leaving a business along Platte Avenue,  east of Union Boulevard.  A short vehicle pursuit followed and Lohr fled on foot after the vehicle he was driving became disabled near Bijou Street and Hancock Avenue, police said.  A search of the area was conducted and Lohr was taken into custody without incident.

Lohr was booked into the El Paso County Criminal Justice Center for investigation of felony eluding, several traffic offenses, and for the three outstanding arrest warrants unrelated to the  investigation.

The sheriff's office said Lohr tossed a gun out of his car during the chase and a man picked up the gun on the sidewalk. A video from a business surveillance system in the 2300 block of East Bijou Street shows a firearm being thrown from the vehicle Lohr was operating during the pursuit.  The video goes on to show what appears to be two adult males finding the gun and one of the men picks it up and sets it back down.  The two men return later and the same man picks up the gun and they leave with it.  

The sheriff's office said later that the weapon had been recovered.

"The gun was turned into law enforcement by an individual who received the gun from the person depicted in the previously released video.  We appreciate their cooperation," a statement issued late Friday said.

A "Be On The Lookout" order is still in effect for Lohr's associate, 31-year-old Thomas Guolee. Goulee is considered armed and dangerous with violent tendencies, officials said.

Lohr and Goulee were in frequent contact with murder suspect Evan Ebel 24 to 36 hours before Clements was killed, according to ABC News

Lt. Jeff Kramer with the El Paso County Sheriff's Office said the two men are "associates" of the 211 Crew, the same prison gang that Ebel belonged to.

Ebel was linked to the prison chief's shooting death after he was killed in a gunfight with Texas law enforcement. In addition to driving a vehicle that matched the one seen outside of Clements' home, Kramer announced ballistic evidence also linked the weapon he used in Texas to the murder.

The sheriff's office reiterated that the two men are not named as suspects in Clements' murder.


-- Officer Safety Message Issued Wednesday.

"Officer safety bulletin, extreme caution: The El Paso County Sheriff's Office and the Colorado Department of Corrections requesting all law enforcement agencies to be on the lookout for the following parties," said a dispatcher.

The dispatcher then described Guolee, also known as "Ghost" and Lohr, also known as "Jimbo."

"Both are known associates of the 211 Crew, have shown violent tendencies and should be considered armed and dangerous. This is reference to an active homicide investigation," said the dispatcher.

Each man has an active arrest warrant for unrelated cases, Kramer said.  

Guolee has felony warrants for his arrest and Lohr had misdemeanor warrants for his arrest.

Guolee is a parolee who served time for intimidating a witness and giving a pawnbroker false information, among other charges, court records show.  He was described as 5 feet 9 inches tall, 160 pounds, with blond hair and blue eyes and with several tattoos.

Lohr was being sought on warrants out of Las Animas County for a bail violation and a violation of a protection order, according to court records. 

-- Goulee's Mother Wants Son To Turn Himself In

"Come home to me and see your daughter for a few minutes and then let me call the police and have them come and get you," said Deborah Eck, Guolee's mother.  "I'd rather have that then them call me and tell me he's dead."

Guolee has tattoos down his legs of the words "White" and "Power," his mother said.

Eck also said she hadn't heard from him in about three weeks.

"I don’t know what to say, other than he needs to turn himself in and get off the streets. Because the more he’s out there, the more something could happen," she said.

Eck continued, "My heart feels like if he gets out of a car, and make one little move, they’re going to shoot."

Print this article Back to Top