1 dead after carbon monoxide leak at apartment
Fire officials investigate source of CO leak
Last Updated: 422 days ago
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Authorities say they suspect a carbon monoxide leak killed one person and left another in critical condition at a Colorado Springs apartment complex on Sunday.
Colorado Springs firefighters were dispatched to the Vista Peak Apartments at 1216 Potter Drive about 11:50 a.m. after a resident called 911 saying their carbon monoxide alarm was going off and they were feeling sick, officials said.
Firefighters arrived to find carbon monoxide alarms were sounding in several units, officials said.
Fire crews searching and evacuating the apartment building found two unresponsive people in one unit, officials said. One person died and the other remains in critical condition at a local hospital.
Nine families were displaced and the property manager provided accommodations for them overnight as a precaution.
Fire officials said they're continuing to investigate the source of the carbon monoxide.
An autopsy was scheduled by the El Paso County coroner to determine the official cause and manner of death, but carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected to have played a role, officials said. The names of the victims will be released as soon as all family notifications are complete.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.