Investigators say a broken damper motor and an inefficiently running ice scraping machine are both to blame for the buildup of carbon monoxide inside a Gunnison ice rink.
Fire Marshal Dennis Spritzer told 7NEWS that the broken damper motor prevented fresh air from entering the Jorgenson Park ice rink Sunday.
He also said the ice scraping machine was burning fuel inefficiently and that that contributed to the mass carbon monoxide poisoning of hockey players and fans.
More than 80 were treated at hospitals in Gunnison, Craig and Denver.
Several parents said they were surprised to learn that carbon monoxide detectors were not installed in the ice rink.
Spritzer said state law requires that detectors be installed in new homes, homes that are resold and in apartments, but they are not required in commercial buildings.
The chief sponsor of the states carbon monoxide law, state Representative John Soper, D-Adams County, said most carbon monoxide deaths occur when people are asleep.
Thats why the focus was on homes, Soper said.
But with the mass poisoning in Gunnison and a similar incident at an ice rink in Greeley, some parents say ice rinks should be included in the law.
I think there should be some kind of detector in a place like that, said Eric Guttormson, coach of the Colorado Junior Eagles hockey team.
Guttormsons daughter MacKenzie was one of the victims who had to be treated in a hyperbaric chamber at Presbyterian/St. Lukes Medical Center in Denver.
Soper said he hasnt been approached by any parents, but said he would consider sponsoring a change in the legislation, if there was a big push for it.
It would be too late this session, he said, because youd have to have late bill status.
Soper also said that it would be difficult to mandate that change in this economic climate.
Everybodys under an economic crunch, Soper said. But what price do you put on somebodys life?
Several area firefighters told 7NEWS that they would support an effort to change the law.
"Anytime we can prevent that type of injury we're in favor of anything that would support that," said Mark Schuman, who works as a battalion chief in the North Washington fire district.
Spritzer said that after the incident at Jorgenson Park, Gunnison will install carbon monoxide detectors in the ice rink.
Well tie them into the fire alarm system, he said.
The fire marshal also said that the damper motor will be repaired or replaced, and that the ice scraping machine will receive a tune-up so it burns fuel more efficiently.
He said the ice rink will remain closed until the repairs are made.
Copyright Report a typo or inaccuracyCopyright 2011 by TheDenverChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.