Judge: School Vouchers Injunction Stays

A Denver District Court judge is keeping an injunction in place barring the Douglas County School District from implementing a voucher program.

The school district asked for a delay on Monday after Judge Michael Martinez issued a permanent injunction against the program.

Martinez blocked the voucher program earlier this month, saying it's a disservice to the public interest for taxpayers to pay tuition for religious schools.

The district was offering parents and students the option of using taxpayer funds to attend the private school of their choice. About 300 students were accepted in the program.

But the American Civil Liberties Union said the program is unconstitutional.

"Those students can continue to use that private school. They just can't use taxpayer money," said ACLU legal director Mark Silverstein.

The district says it is raising private funds to help pay for the legal costs of any potential appeal.

According to the Denver Post, private schools including Aspen Academy, Denver Christian Schools and Lutheran High School have notified the district that they will stand behind accepted voucher students.

Valor Christian High School's board says it hopes to make up the money through donations. Woodlands Academy in Castle Rock says it will allow 12 students in the voucher program to stay.

Report a typo or inaccuracy
If you have a news tip or a follow-up to this story, e-mail us.

Print this article Back to Top