Jessica Ridgeway case: Teen suspect Austin Sigg granted delay before entering a plea

Sigg faces 18 counts

JEFFERSON COUNTY, Colo. - The teen accused of kidnapping and killing 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway did not enter a plea as expected Tuesday. The hearing was continued until Friday, April 12.

7NEWS reporter Amanda Kost tweeted that Sigg's attorneys requested a delay of two months, but the judge granted them only one month.

The lawyers also mentioned Sigg's mental health, indicating a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity is still on the table.

Sigg was quiet during the hearing. The only sign of emotion was a smile at his family while he was escorted into the courtroom and a deputy removed his handcuffs.


-- Previous coverage --


During last month's preliminary hearing for now 18-year-old Austin Sigg, prosecutors played a 911 call where Sigg admitted to killing Ridgeway and to trying to kidnap a female jogger.

"I murdered Jessica Ridgeway, I have proof that I did," Sigg is heard saying on the recording. "I'm giving myself up completely, there will be no resistance whatsoever."

When the dispatcher asked Sigg if had a criminal history, he confessed to a second crime.

"The only other (incident) was Ketner Lake, where a woman was attacked. That was me," Sigg said.

After more than five hours of testimony, the judge concluded that there was enough evidence in both cases to put Sigg on trial for 18 counts.

If convicted, Sigg could spend years behind bars.

We caution readers that this story contains gruesome details.

Jessica was abducted as she walked toward school on Oct. 5, triggering a massive search that ended with the discovery of her dismembered body five days later in an Arvada open space field.

Jessica's remains were found when two men collecting litter in an open space field came across a shiny black plastic bag, lead Westminster Police Det. Luis Lopez said.

The supervisor and the men cut open the inner bag and found the girl's torso, which was missing her arms, legs and head, Lopez said. The rest of the girl's remains were found in the crawl space of Sigg's Westminster family home, the detective said.

An autopsy showed Jessica died from asphyxiation due to strangulation or suffocation, Lopez said.

Sigg came onto investigators' radar on Oct. 19, when a neighbor woman called a tip line in response to police saying they had recovered a small wooden cross that might have been worn by the killer.

The neighbor said she knew a teen named Austin Sigg who had worn a similar cross, according to Lopez.

The woman said she was concerned about Sigg because he had dropped out of high school and "he was obsessed with death and the decomposition of bodies," the detective recalled.

Based on that tip, the FBI took a DNA sample from Sigg that day, Lopez said. That was four days before the 911 call where Sigg confessed to the dispatcher.

Lopez said Sigg's DNA was linked to "touch" DNA found on Jessica's torso, underwear, water bottle, boots and gloves as well as the clothing of the jogger who was grabbed at Ketner Lake.

During a search of Sigg's home, police seized computer equipment.

Westminster Police Det. Chris Pyler, who specializes in crimes against children, testified that child pornography images were recovered from a laptop and a computer tower seized at the home.


Print this article Back to Top