Garage fire spreads, destroys Westminster home and damages the house next door
Last Updated: 279 days ago
WESTMINSTER, Colo. - A Thursday morning garage fire spread to destroy one Westminster home and caused about $20,000 in damage to the home next door.
The fire on the 11500 block of Chase Way was reported at 8:45 a.m., Westminster Fire Department spokeswoman Diana Wilson said. The person who called 911 said propane tanks were inside the burning garage.
A 2 minute- and 43-second video from neighbor Alan Wardlow shows the ball of fire in the garage spreading upward and outward on the home. Grass on the lawn and limbs of a nearby tree also caught fire.
The first fire truck appears to arrive about 1:10 into Wardlow's video. They had the fire under control in about 30 minutes, Wilson said.
The two residents of the home and a dog escaped on their own. Firefighters also brought out two cats, Wilson said.
So far, Wilson said, there is no information available about the cause of the fire. All that is known is that it started in the garage.
In addition to the home that was destroyed and the home that was damaged, two cars were also damaged.
The two displaced families will be offered hotel vouchers from the Westminster Firefighters Fire Victims Benefit Fund, Wilson said.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.