Authorities say body found in Westminster pond is missing Arvada man, Luke Edwards

Coroner: No indication of foul play

WESTMINSTER, Colo. - A body found in a pond at the Westminster Westin Hotel Monday has been identified as John Luke Edwards, 36, an Arvada man who was last seen leaving a work holiday party at the hotel on Dec. 9.

The Jefferson County Coroner's Office found no indication of foul play. However, there has been no ruling on the cause of death, as the coroner waits for further lab results, Westminster police said Tuesday.

West Metro Dive Team members found Edward's body below the surface of the man-made pond at about 4:30 p.m. Monday, police said.

Police had been searching for the 36-year-old  Edwards, who goes by Luke, for nine days. Police said Edwards was severely intoxicated as he left the holiday party about 3 a.m. Dec. 9 at the hotel, located at 10600 Westminster Blvd.

His belongings were found in the hotel and his personal vehicle was still in the parking lot, police said. Colleagues and family members became worried when Edwards did not show up at his construction job the day after the party.

Divers found the body in an area thick with 4-foot-deep reeds and partially covered by ice, 7NEWS photojournalist Eric Goody reported.

Last week, divers and fire crews in sonar-equipped boats spent several days searching the pond, which is more than 20-feet deep in some places.

Edwards' mother and other family members had kept an anguished vigil at the hotel during days of searching.

"I see him when he walked out the door. I see him smiling and excited," a tearful Theresa Fisher told 7NEWS Monday, describing the last time she saw her son.

After two dive-team searches last week, officials told the family they were 90 percent sure Edwards' body wasn't in the pond. The mother urged them to keep searching until they were "100 percent" certain.

"This is where he last was, so I come here (every day) … and then every night I leave and he's still here," Fisher told with 7NEWS reporter Lindsey Sablan.

Just hours after the interview, divers found the body.

In their intense search for Edwards, police said they talked with nearly 60 people who attended the holiday party as well as people who were in and around the Westin on night of Dec. 8. Police also reviewed 14 hours of video from surveillance cameras around the hotel.

Print this article Back to Top