Manhunt ends; 3 suspects involved in shooting at officers in Castle Rock and Parker arrested

Reverse 911 calls sent to Clarke Farms subdivision

PARKER, Colo. - The manhunt for suspects who are believed to have shot at officers in Castle Rock ended after Parker police took two people in custody Saturday morning just after 7 a.m.

Police had blocked off a subdivision in Parker and warned residents to stay indoors and be on alert as the manhunt continued most of the morning.

The incident began when officers were trying to contact a stolen vehicle in downtown Castle Rock near the Taco Bell restaurant at 95 Rio Grande Drive, just after midnight.  As officers approached the car, the people inside fired shots at the officers and rammed the police vehicles, according to Parker police spokeswoman Dawn Cashman.  One officer was treated at a local area hospital for minor bruises and abrasions and the other was treated for a leg injury and broken finger.

The suspects then fled the area in the vehicle, traveling northbound onto Crowfoot Valley Road. During the police pursuit, the suspected vehicle rammed a police cruiser injuring one officer who was transported to the hospital, 7NEWS has learned.

Police attempted to stop the vehicle at the intersection of Crowfoot Valley Road and Stroh Road in Parker, but the suspects fired shots at officers for a second time, Cashman said.

The suspect's vehicle continued into the area of North Jordan Road and Jordan Court before they jumped from the vehicle and ran into the Clarke Farms subdivision, Cashman said.

Police said the female suspect, Gwendolyn Devilbiss who had been in the car, suffered a gunshot wound and was taken to the hospital around 4 a.m. Her injuries were described as non-life-threatening and she's in stable condition.

Officers described the two men they had been searching for as armed and dangerous.  Reverse 911 calls were issued to over 3,000 phone numbers in a 1 mile radius of the Clarke Farms subdivision.  Neighbors were warned to stay indoors, not to approach anyone suspicious and to make sure that their vehicles were still in their driveways.

"They had full black uniforms.  They said lock all your doors and windows and stay inside," said one neighbor.

Police said they finally found the remaining two suspects, Clifford "CJ" Galley and David Vasquez hiding in a neighbor's yard.

"All of the sudden, SWAT showed up and they got somebody.  I understand out of this tree and the other guy was in my backyard underneath our Pine tree," said neighbor Susan McKaig.

Police said Galley had multiple warrants, one being for 1st Degree Assault on a Peace Officer with a weapon.

Print this article Back to Top