GREELEY, Colo. - It's a cautioning tale for people sporting body piercings.
A mother got her belly button ring entangled in the drain grate of a zero-depth pool in Greeley Wednesday afternoon and it took firefighters an hour to free her.
The 31-year-old Milliken mom was floating along on her tummy with her child in the increasingly shallow water at the Greeley Family Funplex pool, at 1501 65TH Ave., when her belly button ring became entangled in the drain grate about 12:45 p.m., said Greeley Fire Division Chief Dale Lyman.
"She said it was just kind of a perfect storm, (the belly button ring) fit right in there and got tangled," Lyman said.
Arriving firefighters first tried to turn the ring in order to free the woman, but that didn't work.
Fire crews had to drain the shallow wading pool until they could remove the grate.
After several attempts, the ring was manipulated so it could be released and the swimmer was freed, Lyman said.
Despite that odd ordeal, the woman was checked for injuries and released at the scene uninjured, he added.
A far as fire department incident reports go, Lyman said, "This is a classic."
"There are hazards associated" with body piercings, he added with a chuckle.