Tina Moya gets 36 years in brutal murder of her husband, whose body was dumped on Lookout Mountain

Wife, teen daughter, 2 men had roles in killing

GOLDEN, Colo. - A young wife who pressured others to murder her 69-year-old husband and dump his body on Lookout Mountain was sentenced to 36 years in prison on Wednesday.

The four-person plot to kill Richard Limon could be a twisted murder movie.

Limon’s wife, Tina Louise Moya, 40, her 19-year-old daughter, Nena, and Tina’s boyfriend, 48-year-old Raul Nunez-Soto, have already been convicted for their roles in the murder.

A fourth individual, Edwin Ernesto Rivera-Gracias, 28, was recently added to the FBI’s 10 Most Wanted List and has a $100,000 reward on his head. Investigators believe Rivera-Gracias, a member of the Mara Salvatrucha -- or MS-13 -- gang is hiding out in El Salvador.

On Aug. 17, 2011, a bicyclist riding up Lookout Mountain in Golden stopped to take in the view. He noticed what appeared to be a body on the steep hillside below him.

It turned out to be the half-naked body of Richard Limon. His mouth and nose were covered in duct tape and a broken-off blade from a steak knife was found lodged in his chest.

For months prior to his murder, Tina Moya, then age 38, had asked different people to kill Limon, said Pam Russell, spokeswoman for the Jefferson County District Attorney’s Office.

Moya was married to Limon, but told people that he was her father.

Limon wasn't a wealthy man. He made his living making and selling burritos. But his family said Limon had a generous heart. And prosecutors say Tina Moya was quick to exploit his generosity.

Limon helped her find a place to live. He did the paperwork so she could obtain food stamps. He also filed her claim for a dog bite, so she could get an insurance payoff, prosecutors said at Moya's Wednesday sentencing.

But Limon had moved away from Moya in the months before the murder.

Yet, Moya, pleading that she needed Limon, convinced him to return to her, prosecutors said.

At the time of his death, Limon was living in a recreational vehicle in the driveway of Moya’s house at 3262 W. Dakota Avenue in Denver. In a warped marriage of convenience, Limon tolerated Moya living in the home with her boyfriend, Raul Nunez-Soto.

On Aug. 16, 2011, Tina Moya, Rivera-Gracias and Nunez-Soto were at the house on West Dakota. Tina kept pressuring the men to kill Limon, Russell said.

Rivera-Gracias and Nunez-Soto finally agreed, Russell said. They went into the RV where Limon was lying on the bed and attacked him. Rivera-Gracias is accused of wrapping the lower half of Limon’s head in duct tape in an attempt to suffocate him. Rivera-Gracias allegedly punched Limon repeatedly.

But Limon wouldn’t die.

So after 15 minutes, Rivera-Gracias allegedly went and grabbed a knife from the house while Nunez-Soto held Limon. Rivera-Gracias came back to the RV and allegedly killed Limon by stabbing him nine times, Russell said.

Tina Moya and her then-17-year-old daughter, Nena, were in the house, well aware that Tina’s husband was being murdered in the RV just outside in the driveway.

After Limon was dead, Tina and Nena helped clean up the bloody crime scene and they were aware that the two men were driving the body up to Lookout Mountain to dump it, Russell said.

The next morning, Tina Moya insisted that they all drive to the spot where the body had been dumped. Once they reached the overlook, they kicked his body further down the hillside in an effort to better conceal it, Russell said.

Yet, Jefferson County sheriff’s investigators quickly unraveled the murder plot.

Six days after the killing, investigators arrested Tina Moya, Nena Moya and Nunez-Soto.

Tina Moya pled guilty to second-degree murder and one violent crime count on October 23, 2012.

Nunez-Soto pled guilty to second-degree murder and one violent crime count on September 14, 2012. He was sentenced to 48 years in prison on Oct. 30.

Nena Moya pled guilty to accessory to first-degree murder. She was originally granted participation in a jail diversion program, but later pled guilty to the charge and was sentenced to 2 years in the Division of Youth Corrections.

Investigators believe Rivera-Gracias fled town soon after the killing. A warrant was issued for his arrest by the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office.

Print this article Back to Top