Family of survivor in Fort Collins shooting speaks for the first time

DENVER – The family of the sole survivor in the Fort Collins shooting that left three dead, including the gunman, is speaking for the first time.

In a short video sent to Denver7 on Sunday, Chris Dierker, the father of Megan Dierker ― the fourth victim in the shooting that took place near the CSU campus ― said his daughter had undergone three surgeries since Thursday’s shooting, adding they were hopeful she would recover.

“Megan and our entire family want to send our condolences and prayers to the families of Savannah, Tristan and Michael,” Dierker said in the video, before thanking Fort Collins Police Services and first responders for their efforts in saving her life.

“At the right time, she would like to thank you in person,” he said.

Dierker also went on to thank staff at Medical Center of the Rockies for their efforts in saving his daughter’s life.

“Lastly, I want to thank you on the behalf of the entire family for the outpouring of love and support shown to Megan during this difficult time,” Dierker said, before ending the video asking for privacy as the girl recovers from her injuries.

Officers who responded to the shooting at the Sunstone Apartments said at least one of the victims is believed to have known the suspect, who was identified as 30-year-old Michael Zamora of Fort Collins.

Witnesses of the shooting who spoke to Denver7 said they heard about 12 shots just before 2 a.m., and that a woman was screaming that a man was dead and she had been shot.

Police have not released a motive in the deadly shooting.

RELATED HEADLINES --

Family of Fort Collins murder victim speaks out

Print this article Back to Top