Felix Trujillo, sheriff's deputy formally charged in Denver jailbreak, DA says

Trujillo still in custody; deputy released on bond

DENVER - Felix Trujillo and the sheriff’s deputy who allegedly helped him escape from the Denver Detention Center were formally charged Wednesday.

Denver District Attorney Mitch Morrissey charged Trujillo, 24, with one count of escape, and Deputy Matthew Andrews, 36, with one count of aiding escape.

Trujillo, formerly an inmate at the Denver Detention Center, allegedly walked out of the jail with Andrews’ help on April 7 around 7 p.m. Andrews is accused of giving Trujillo a uniform and escorting him out of the jail.

"Trujillo was observed standing next to Deputy Andrews wearing a Denver Sheriff's baseball hat and winter jacket," the affidavit for Trujillo's arrest said. "They boarded the elevator together and then were observed exiting the DDC onto W. 14th Ave."

The document goes on to say the deputy drove Trujillo to the area of 84th Ave. and Washington St., where Trujillo got into another car and left.

According to the affidavit for Andrews' arrest, he returned to the Downtown Detention Center and later revealed what he had done to coworkers. He told them he had been threatened and had no choice.

"Andrews revealed to coworkers that he had been threatened and that there was a 'contract' on him and his family and that in order to remain unharmed he needed to help," the document said.

Trujillo was also allegedly aided by Marilyn Reeves, 47, who is accused of renting a hotel room for Trujillo and allowing him to use her car to go to breakfast one morning.

Reeves also told police she bought Trujillo clothing and he "took her cell phone."

Trujillo turned himself in after three days on the run.

Trujillo remains in custody in the Arapahoe County Justice Center on $100,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in court April 19. Andrews was released on $10,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in court again April 22.

Print this article Back to Top