Furnace boiler explosion injures owner of Denver motel

Blast cuts motel heat, guests huddle in office

DENVER - A furnace boiler explosion injured the owner of Denver motel on Wednesday morning, fire officials said.

The blast happened before 10 a.m. in the basement of the Driftwood Motel at 1443 Oneida St. near East Colfax Avenue, said Denver Fire spokesman Mark Watson.

"We just heard a boom!" a man outside the motel office told 7NEWS reporter Lance Hernandez. The owner was apparently working on the boiler.

The owner was transported to a hospital with injuries, possibly burns, Watson said. He did not know the owner's condition.  

The boiler explosion knocked out the motel's heat and guests were huddling in the office to stay warm on a chilly day, Hernandez said.

Print this article Back to Top