Aurora police ID bank robbery suspect, Derick Lamar Williams-Berrien, shot by officer on Saturday

Suspect shot after car chase, confrontation

AURORA, Colo. - Aurora police on Monday released the name of a 22-year-old bank robbery suspect shot by a police officer following a car chase last weekend.

After being treated at a hospital, Derick Lamar Williams-Berrien was booked into Aurora Municipal Jail Monday morning on investigation of aggravated robbery, police said. He was held on $50,000 bond and awaiting transport to the Arapahoe County Jail.

Police said detectives continue to investigate the incident and they are awaiting a search warrant for the car the suspect was driving.

Aurora Police spokesman Officer Frank Frania said a man walked into the U.S. Bank at East Cornell Avenue and South Peoria Street at 12:20 p.m. Saturday and he appeared to have a gun.

A source close to the investigation told 7NEWS a bank employee was on the phone with her husband at the time of the robbery. She told him to call 911.

The robber's hand was covered while in the bank, so it was not known if he actually had a gun during the robbery.  Fania did not say if the suspect was armed when he was eventually arrested.

As the suspect was leaving the bank, an Aurora police officer drove by in a patrol car and spotted people running from the bank.

"He [the officer] sees customers coming out of the bank, flags them down," Fania said. "He talks briefly to one witness or customer, and that's when he notices the car coming out of the parking lot at a high rate of speed."

The officer chased the compact, silver car into the Dam East neighborhood, just a block away. The pursuit ended on a neighborhood street when the suspect's car high-centered on an ornamental rock in a greenbelt.

Fania said the suspect then got out of the car and refused to listen to the officer's instructions. The officer shot the suspect several times, hitting him in the upper torso more than once, but the man took off on foot, police said.

The officer chased the suspect about 150 yards before the man stopped. The officer then used a Taser stun-gun on the man, because the suspect was still uncooperative, Fania said.

Williams-Berrien was treated at a hospital for his wounds, police said.

Print this article Back to Top