Winter Storm Watch issued February 26 at 9:33AM MST expiring March 1 at 12:00AM MST in effect for: Archuleta, Delta, Dolores, Eagle, Garfield, Gunnison, Hinsdale, La Plata, Mesa, Montezuma, Montrose, Ouray, Pitkin, San Juan, San Miguel
Winter Storm Watch issued February 26 at 4:20AM MST expiring February 28 at 11:00PM MST in effect for: Chaffee, Conejos, Lake, Mineral, Rio Grande, Saguache
Seven-year-old Logan Miles' mother and father warned him repeatedly about playing with fire. That's according to his grandmother, Bonnie Gusich."(My daughter) hid the lighters from him. Somehow, he found one," said Gusich.Logan's family said he was playing with a lighter in a closet when he accidentally set the condo on fire. He was hospitalized at Children's with severe burns from head to toe.He was flown to Shriners Hospital in Sacramento, California Saturday morning to receive specialized care."Maybe it's a warning. Maybe it's a lesson. Who knows why these things happen," said Gusich.Logan's aunt, Marni Gusich, actually owns the home. She was letting her sister's family stay there because they were getting ready to move to Kentucky. Her sister, Jill (Logan's mother), suffered burns to her hands and feet as she rescued Logan from the closet."She's devastated. She can't put her arms, or wrap her head around what's happening," said Marni Gusich.Neighbors heard his mother screaming and then saw the flames.I heard someone yelling and I heard the mom yell, Dont touch your skin! Dont touch it! said Erika Bordner, who lives nearby. I came out to see if I could help and the little boy was burned.West Metro Fire spokeswoman Micki Trost said because the door to the boys room was shut, no one in the family detected the fire until the smoke alarms started going off.At that time, he had already suffered severe burns and the house had significant fire damage, said Trost.The boys mother rushed to his side and brought him out of the burning house, but firefighters said the boy had already suffered second- and third-degree burns over 90 percent of his body.The boy's father is in the military and was at a training camp in Missouri before being deployed. The Red Cross flew Logan's father to California to be with him."This is your text book boy. He could barely do anything without crashing or falling. I mean he always had skinned up knees and elbows," said Logan's grandmother. "He's in God's hands now."Logan's sister Sarah was home at the time as well. She called 911."It was super scary to see him," said eight-year-old Sarah.Trost said the boy was breathing and talked briefly to a medic, but the boys aunt, who did not identify herself, said he was not expected to make it.He is in for a fight, said Trost.The boys mother suffered burns to her hands and feet as she was rescuing her son.Firefighters said the incident is a reminder to parents to keep lighters and matches out of reach of children.