The Boulder district attorney agrees with a federal judge in Atlanta that the evidence in the JonBenet Ramsey murder case points to an intruder and not to the murdered girls parents.
Mary Keenan issued a statement Monday afternoon that said, "I agree with the (federal) court's conclusion that 'the weight of the evidence is more consistent with a theory that an intruder murdered JonBenet than it is with a theory that Mrs. Ramsey did so.'
Last week, U.S. District Judge Julie E. Carnes dismissed a lawsuit against
the Ramseys, criticizing police and the FBI for a media campaign aimed at making the family look guilty.
Keenan agreed, saying in her statement, "For several months, my office has been investigating new and other unpursued leads, most of which involve the possibility that an intruder committed this crime. We are proceeding with the full cooperation of the Ramseys, Detective Lou Smit and the Boulder Police Department. We are all focused on the apprehension and successful prosecution of the killer of JonBenet."
"There is only one way to interpret this. I think the 6
1/2-year nightmare of John and Patsy Ramsey having to face false
accusations of being involved in the murder of their child is now
over," said L. Lin Wood, the lawyer who defended the Ramseys in
the suit by Wolf.
"Mary Keenan is totally familiar with all the evidence in this
case and she has stated in unequivocal terms that the weight of the
evidence is more consistent with the theory that an intruder
murdered JonBenet than Patsy Ramsey," said Wood.
Boulder police have never charged the Ramseys in the murder of
JonBenet, whose body was found in the family home on the morning of
Dec. 26, 1996. However, they refused to clear the parents of
suspicion and ruled out the possibility that an intruder killed the
Boulder Police Chief Mark Beckner has referred all questions
about the case to Keenan after her office took it over.
Lou Smit, a retired Colorado Springs homicide detective, quit
the former district attorney's investigative team after concluding
the Ramseys were innocent. He later worked for the Ramseys and is
now helping Keenan.
A grand jury considering the evidence adjourned in 1999 with no
- March 20, 2002: Ramseys Settle Book Libel Suit
- February 15, 2002: Patsy Ramsey's Cancer Returns
- December 26, 2001: After 5 Years, Still No Arrest In Ramsey Murder
- December 18, 2001: Many Drawn To JonBenet's Grave
- December 13, 2001: Patsy Ramsey Asked If She Wrote Ransom Note
- December 11, 2001: For First Time, Ramseys Talk About Murder Under Oath
- October 3, 2001: Online Ramsey Confession Was Hoax
- September 13, 2001: Attorney Wants Ramsey Friend Jailed
- September 7, 2001: Arrest Warrant Dropped Against Former Ramsey Detective
- August 17, 2001: Police Test New DNA In JonBenet Case
- July 24, 2001: Behind The News: Site Gives Raw Data
- July 17, 2001: Ramsey Detective Fights Possible Contempt Of Court
- July 16, 2001: Ramsey Fallout: Police Chief Mounts Letter Campaign
- July 6, 2001: Judge's Ruling Could Open Up Ramsey Case
- July 6, 2001: Ramsey Housekeeper To Give "Dramatic New Evidence"
- June 26, 2001: Former Ramsey Friend May Be Jailed
- June 12, 2001: Ramsey Detective Case Thrown Out
- June 12, 2001: Ramsey Detective 'Made Mistakes,' Chief Testifies
- June 8, 2001: Testimony: Ramsey Detective Didn't File Report
- June 8, 2001: Ramsey Detective Needs Money
- June 5, 2001: Testimony: Ramsey Detective Wasn't At Fault
- May 28, 2001: Ramsey Detective Lawsuit To Begin
- May 15, 2001: Ramsey Detective's Case Dealt Setback
- May 1, 2001: Ramsey Detective Describes 'Stun Gun' Photos
- April 30, 2001: Ramsey Investigator Pushes Intruder Theory
- April 26, 2001: Former Ramsey Investigator To Release Crime-Scene Photos
- March 30, 2001: Ramseys Sue Former Boulder Detective For Libel
- March 19, 2001: Housekeeper's Lawsuit Against Ramseys Moves Forward
- March 8, 2001: Ramseys Settle With Tabloid Over JonBenet Murder Stories
- March 4, 2001: Former Housekeeper Sues Ramseys
- February 20, 2001: John Ramsey Locked Up During Botched Robbery
- January 10, 2001: Ramseys Claim They Were Set Up
- August 29, 2000: Police Say Ramsey Talks Didn't Go Well
- August 29, 2000: Interview With Ramseys Heats Up
- August 22, 2000: Boulder Police To Interview Ramseys Monday
- June 3, 2000: Ramseys Post Suspect Sketch Online
- April 10, 2000: Patsy Ramsey Fingered As JonBenet's Killer
- March 21, 2000: Barbara Walters, Governor Spar Over Ramseys
- March 20, 2000: Ramseys Fail To Give ABC A Win