A Colorado State University student who died at an off-campus apartment in September died as a result of an acute asthmatic attack and not the result of an alcohol overdose, the Larimer County Coroner's Office said Monday.
Sascha Franzel, 19, had been drinking the night that she died, but her mother said her daughter had severe asthma and allergies, and never believed that Sascha's death was alcohol-related.
"Last November, she almost died from an asthma attack and because she was visiting a doctor they took her to a hospital almost immediately," said Sascha's mother, Sonia Franzel. "We're all devastated, and we don't want anybody to insinuate anything that nobody really knows about."
The coroner ruled the manner of Franzel's death as "natural."
The coroner also cited other significant conditions, specifically "aspiration of gastric contents, Albuterol intoxication." Albuterol is an asthma medication.
Franzel was a sophomore biology student from Hawaii and was actively involved in Hillel at CSU, an organization for Jewish students on campus. Friends say Franzel was sweet, fun, and always the life of the party.
Copyright Report a typo or inaccuracyIf you have a news tip or a follow-up to this story, e-mail us.Copyright 2011 by TheDenverChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.