Shooting victim's friend warned police that killer Daniel Sanchez might have gun

Friend questions police actions before slayings

DENVER - In the hours before police say Daniel Sanchez killed his ex-girlfriend Beatriz Cintora-Silva and two others, her close friend, Roy Choudhary, repeatedly warned police that Sanchez posed a threat and might have a gun.

He also asked authorities to do everything in their power to protect Cintora-Silva, saying that she had long been the victim of Sanchez’s assaults and rage.

Beatriz “has been complaining of chest pain since last night due to the manhandling she received from Daniel,” Choudhary wrote in an email to a Longmont police officer days before the killing. “I request you to please record this matter. Betty is someone I know who will bear tremendous pain against fear of retaliation from Daniel.”

Choudhary, who spoke Wednesday in his Longmont home with CALL7 Investigator Theresa Marchetta, said though he and Cintora-Silva filed a police report, he received no significant police response to his persistent calls and emails.

Longmont police Cmdr. Jeff Satur said his department “followed procedures” in the case. He admitted, however, he was “pretty sure” that Choudhary’s emails to an officer working the case were never answered because the officer was on vacation. Satur added other officers Choudhary tried to contact appeared unavailable to respond.

Early Tuesday morning, Sanchez gunned his way through a glass door at Cintora-Silva’s home in the 11,000-block of Hot Spring, shooting to death Cintora-Silva and her sister and brother-in-law, police said. Sanchez then turned the gun on himself, taking his own life, according to a 911 tape.

The killings occurred just six hours after Sanchez was released from Boulder County Jail, where he faced domestic violence charges, including the felony kidnapping of Cintora-Silva. Those charges came after Sanchez set up a meeting with Cintora-Silva in a parking lot last weekend and became enraged when he discovered Cintora-Silva was receiving text messages from Choudhary.

Sanchez grabbed Cintora-Silva’s phone and threatened Choudhary, saying he would get revenge, according to a phone message Choudhary played for Marchetta.

Afterward, Sanchez pulled Cintora-Silva into his pickup truck and drove through Longmont to a dirt farm road, where Cintora-Silva told police she tried in vain to escape. Sanchez slammed her into the dashboard of the truck, according to police.

Sanchez later brought Cintora-Silva back to the parking lot. Afterward, Choudhary convinced Cintora-Silva to file a police report.

That same evening, Sanchez appeared at Cintora-Silva’s home, CALL7 has learned, where he pounded on the door. Choudhary said Cintora-Silva feared for her life. He called Weld County sheriff’s deputies out to the house and informed them of the threat.

But when deputies arrived some 25 minutes later, Sanchez was gone. Choudhary filed a report anyway and told Marchetta he also gave Deputy John Ivie the details from the Longmont case.


Police Defend Their Handling Of Case

“It just happens,” Weld County Sheriff John Cooke said of the shootings during a Tuesday news conference, noting that authorities in Boulder County, where Sanchez had been jailed, “did what they were supposed to do” by informing Cintora-Silva and Choudhary about 30 minutes prior to Sanchez’s release.

But Choudhary told Marchetta he did not receive a call. Instead, a call was received by Choudhary’s roommate, listed as the alternate number.

Boulder County Jail Division Chief Bruce Haas said a deputy left Choudhary a message because deputies were unable to reach him at his number.

After the kidnapping incident, police in Longmont told Cintora-Silva she could stay at a safe house, but they say she declined, saying she might stay with Choudhary. However, she was at her family's home when Sanchez attacked.

“It’s always good not to go where the suspect knows you’re living,” Sheriff Cooke told reporters Tuesday.

Choudhary told Marchetta authorities did not do enough to follow up with Cintora-Silva about safe alternatives to her home, even after Sanchez pounded on her door and windows Saturday evening.

He added that authorities with the Weld County’s Sheriff’s Office should have been more vigilant regarding Sanchez, noting his escalating, repeated confrontations.

“Before me, her sister and her aunts have repeatedly advised her to call the police when she was being beaten by Daniel Sanchez,” Choudhary wrote Longmont police, urging them to intervene. “I hope that yesterday's violent encounter with him will be her last, of the pain that she has borne for over four years. She is still very afraid for her life or being attacked again by the suspect.”

Beatriz's sister, Maria Cintora-Silva and brother-in-law Max Aguirre Ojeda were also killed in the attack.

Print this article Back to Top