EXCLUSIVE: John McAfee hopes to return to US, attorney tells CALL7 Investigators

McAfee to be released from Guatemalan jail

DENVER - Software mogul John McAfee is expected to be released from jail in Guatemala soon and wants to return to the United States, according to a Denver-based attorney representing him and his family.

"We are very hopeful that John’s ordeal is finally over, and that he will be able to return to the United States to be reunited with his family in time for the holidays," his attorney, Joy Athanasiou, said in an exclusive statement to the CALL7 Investigators at KMGH-TV, an ABC News affiliate in Denver.

In November, McAfee, a former resident of Woodland Park, Colo., fled Belize, where he was a legal resident, saying he feared for his life. Police there wanted him for questioning in the slaying of his American neighbor, Gregory Faull, who was found shot to death at his home on Nov. 10.

McAfee, a citizen of both the United States and Britain, where he was born, later crossed the border into Guatemala, where he was arrested for illegal entry. He was briefly hospitalized for chest pains while in custody and has received ongoing care.

A judge in Guatemala ordered McAfee released and, once he is, he will have 10 days to sort out his affairs in Guatemala. He wants to return to the United States following his release, said Athanasiou, who spoke with McAfee Tuesday evening.

The attorney said it was too early to say where in the United States McAfee would come. He could be released within the next 24 hours.

The McAfee family released this statement Tuesday to CALL7:

"The family of John McAfee would like to express our sincerest gratitude to Judge Judith Secaida for releasing John from immigration detention and allowing him to remain in Guatemala temporarily. We would also like to thank the Guatemalan government for treating John with respect and dignity and affording him all of the rights and due process under Guatemalan law. We would especially like to thank all of the National Police Hospital employees and staff for providing John with excellent medical treatment and keeping him healthy throughout his detention."


Print this article Back to Top