Chase suspect Ryan Stone was supposed to be arrested last week, but snuck out of court

CENTENNIAL, Colo. - Arapahoe County prosecutors wanted to put the suspect in Wednesday's wild car chase back in jail last week, but he walked out of the hearing before it could be done.

The District Attorney's Office had filed the paperwork and deputies were ready to make an arrest, but documents say that when the court called for Ryan Stone's case, he was nowhere to be found.

The Arapahoe County court minutes obtained by CALL7 Investigator Theresa Marchetta indicate that the 28-year-old "left the courtroom prior to the case being called."

The hearing occurred on March 4. After Stone slipped out of the courtroom, Magistrate Frank Moschetti issued a bench warrant for failure to appear in court and raised his bond to $100,000. Following Stone's arrest in the dangerous car chase, Moschetti boosted his bond to $500,000.

The hearing concerned two open drug cases. One of the drug cases involved a Feb. 6 arrest in Centennial. The other, an arrest six days later in Aurora.

Additionally, one day before the DA tried to have bond revoked, Stone was arrested by the Littleton Police Department for failure to comply with the order out of Arapahoe County.

But, since he was able to evade arrest, Stone was free to allegedly commit the kidnapping, chase and series of carjackings across five counties that played out on live television Wednesday morning.

District Attorney George Brauchler, whose jurisdiction includes Arapahoe and Douglas counties, tells Marchetta that he and Boulder County DA Stan Garnett have already had conversations about which office will be prosecuting Stone first.

"Down in our jurisdiction, obviously we're going to be looking at charges that might be applicable to the serious injuries suffered by the state trooper," Brauchler said. "That could be anything from felony assault to attempted murder."

The trooper, Bellamann Hee, was hit by the gold minivan Stone had carjacked during the police pursuit in Douglas County. Hee underwent surgery for a serious injury Wednesday afternoon and is expected to recover.

Stone's criminal record dates back to 2003, when he turned 18. It includes motor vehicle theft, assault, weapons and various drugs.

The CALL7 Investigators are working to contact Stone's attorney.

Print this article Back to Top