Fire Weather Watch issued March 31 at 3:14AM MDT expiring April 1 at 7:00PM MDT in effect for: Alamosa, Conejos, Costilla, Crowley, El Paso, Huerfano, Las Animas, Otero, Pueblo, Rio Grande, Saguache
Court officials have begun mailing jury summonses for Kobe Bryant's sexual assault trial.In total, 999 Eagle County residents will receive the summonses, the most ever issued for a trial in the county of 42,000 residents, state judicial officials said Thursday.Potential jurors will report to court Aug. 27, said Karen Salaz, spokeswoman for the state judicial department.The courts typically send out 225 to 250 summonses for trials, but widespread news coverage of the case and a high number of vacation homes in the county prompted officials to send out a more than usual.Bryant is accused of raping a woman, then 19, at the Vail-area resort where she worked last summer. He has said the sex was consensual and has pleaded not guilty to felony sexual assault.Bryant faces four years to life in prison or 20 years to life on probation, and a fine of up to $750,000 if convicted.The trial is expected to last three to four weeks.
Man Who Threatened Accuser Sentenced
Meanwhile, the man accused of threatening Bryant's accuser was sentenced Friday to four months in federal prison. In January, 22-year-old John Roche pleaded guilty to making a threatening phone call across state lines.
He left a profanity-laced death threat on the answering machine of Bryant's alleged victim.Prosecutors said Roche threatened to assault the woman with a coat hanger and repeatedly vowed to kill her in the message left last July 27. It was one of a number of death threats her attorney says she has received since accusing the Los Angeles Lakers star of assaulting her.Roche's mother wept at times during the hearing. The parents of the 20-year-old alleged victim were also in the courtroom, and the mother spoke to the judge. "The very graphic and cruel nature of this threat give us every reason to believe he would follow it through," she told the judge. Roche was a student at the University of Iowa at the time but withdrew and moved to his parents' home in Davenport. A friend has said Roche is a sports fanatic who had been drinking all day at a golf tournament when he made the call.U.S. District Judge Walker Miller said Roche has substance abuse problems and tested positive for cocaine while out on bond awaiting sentencing. "I do have optimism that you will learn from this, but I want to emphasize that a lot of people do ruin their lives with alcohol and drugs," he said. Defense attorney Nathan Chambers sought probation or home detention, saying prison time was disproportionate punishment for the crime. He said his client was profoundly sorry for making the call in a drunken stupor. He also said the case would not have received the attention it did if not for Bryant's celebrity.Under the sentence handed down, Roche will also be under supervised release for three years after his release from prison.
Prosecutors say John Roche left a profanity-laced threat on the accuser's answering machine, saying he would assault the woman with a coat hanger and kill her.
- June 20, 2004: Craig's Court: Can Momentum Be Stopped?
- June 1, 2004: Craig's Court: Credibility Lost
- May 25, 2004: Craig's Court: Strength In Numbers, Weakness Without
- May 11, 2004: Craig's Court: A Weird Event In A Strange Case
- May 11, 2004: Craig's Court: A Weird Event In A Strange Case
- April 29, 2004: Craig's Court: Almost Winning Time
- April 6, 2004: Craig's Court: The Defense Fires Back
- March 30, 2004: Craig's Court: Names and Appearances
- March 26, 2004: Craig's Court: Misreading Or Misleading Or Retreating?
- March 17, 2004: Craig's Court: Fishing In The Right Spots
- March 12, 2004: Craig's Court: DA Calls Time Out -- What Is Going To Happen Now
- March 2, 2004: Craig's Court: Are Those White Flags? March 1, 2004: Craig's Court: Role ReversalFebruary 4, 2004: Craig's Court: You Are Free To GoFebruary 2, 2004: Craig's Court: I Call Them As I See ThemJanuary 31, 2004: Craig's Court: Tabloid Time -- The Shapiro FactorJanuary 23, 2004: Craig's Court: OJ, JonBenet, DNA and Lotsa Delays
- January 13, 2004: Craig's Court: Relevant Evidence Or Character Assassination?
- January 9, 2004: Craig's Court: Kobe's Body Is Different Now
- December 29, 2003: Craig's Court: How Slow Can You Go? December 15, 2003: Craig's Court: The Good, The Bad and The UglyDecember 8, 2003: Craig's Court: A Tale Of Two ShirtsNovember 21, 2003: Craig's Court: The Wacko Jacko Impact On Kobe BryantNovember 20, 2003: Craig's Court: 101 Dull MotionsNovember 19, 2003: Craig's Court: Probable Cause Equals HIV TestingNovember 18, 2003: Craig's Court: The Invitee and the Intruder
- November 13, 2003: Craig's Court: Non-Destructive Stalling In Kobe Bryant's Case Nov. 12, 2003: Craig's Court: A Lawyer's Blog On The Bryant Case
- July 13, 2004: Bryant Accuser's Attorney Cautions Judge On Sexual-History Decision
- July 9, 2004: Bryant Attorneys Don't Want Cameras In Court
- July 8, 2004: Media Urges Courts To OK Publication Of Bryant Transcripts
- July 7, 2004: Source: Nuggets GM Meets With Kobe Bryant
- July 2, 2004: Judge: Releasing Transcripts Would Jeopardize Bryant Trial
- July 1, 2004: Eagle DA To Remain On Sidelines During Kobe Trial
- June 29, 2004: Colorado Supreme Court Asks Bryant Judge To Explain Himself
- June 26, 2004: Bryant To Go To Trial Aug. 27
- June 22, 2004: Bryant Hearing Ends With No Trial Date Set
- June 21, 2004: Kobe Hearing: What Is Consent?
- June 17, 2004: Under New Rule, Jurors Can Question Bryant Witnesses
- June 1, 2004: Judge: Accuser Cannot Be Called 'Victim' At Bryant Trial
- May 27, 2004: Bryant Defense To Ask Accuser's Lovers Submit To DNA Testing
- May 26, 2004: Thursday's Kobe Hearing May Set Trial Date
- May 25, 2004: Bryant Defense Claims Investigation Woeful, Incomplete
- May 18, 2004: Experts In Kobe Bryant Case To Examine Detective's Tape Recording
- May 11, 2004: Bryant Enters Not Guilty Plea
- May 10, 2004: Bryant Accuser Appears At Closed Door Hearing
- May 7, 2004: Bryant Prosecutor Targets Simpson Case Forensic Witness
- May 5, 2004: Bryant Defense Wants Accuser Called 'Complaining Witness'
- May 1, 2004: Bryant May Miss Summer Games
- April 29, 2004: Arraignment Date Set For Kobe Bryant
- April 27, 2004: Accuser's Male Friends Testify In Kobe Bryant Prelim Hearing
- April 26, 2004: Bryant's Attorneys Focus On Accuser's Sex Life
- April 21, 2004: Kobe Bryant Defense Won't Get Medical Records
- April 6, 2004: Kobe Bryant's Attorneys Also Want Speedy Trial
- April 3, 2004: Prosecutors Also Ask For Quick Bryant Trial Date
- March 25, 2004: Kobe Bryant's Accuser Wants Trial Date Set
- March 24, 2004: Kobe's Accuser Testifies For Three Hours About Sex Life
- March 23, 2004: Furniture From Lodge In Bryant Case Goes On Sale
- March 23, 2004: Bryant's Accuser Preparing To Testify
- March 15, 2004: Bryant Judge: Don't Talk To Media
- March 11, 2004: Ruling Clears The Way For Defense Questioning Of Bryant's Accuser
- March 9, 2004: Bryant Prosecutors Argue Against Turning Over Medical Records
- March 3, 2004: Bryant's Accuser Must Answer Detailed Questions About Her Sex Life
- March 2, 2004: Appearance By Bryant's Accuser Postponed Archive of stories