Fire Weather Warning issued March 28 at 4:55AM MDT expiring March 28 at 6:00PM MDT in effect for: Larimer, Weld
Phil Steinhauer's ideas for keeping children occupied during the summer months.
1. Growing with a tree- plant a tree for each child. Get them involved in taking care of the tree. Each year take a photo with the tree and the child.
2. Garden flag- Purchase Outdoor fabric, fabric paint and flag holder. (Phil suggests looking for bargains in the remnant section) Use duct tape to join the fabric together and create a border. Leave space at the crease to slide the flag onto the holder (see video).
3. Plant a Pizza garden. Use a large pot to grow basil, tomatoes, peppers, oregano and Italian parsley. As the herbs and plants grow have the kids harvest them and bake a pizza.
4. Sun Catchers using melted beads- place Pony beads in pie and/or muffin tins. Place in BBQ for ten minutes at 400 degrees. Phil suggests a outside BBQ because the melting plastic can create a strong smell.
Phil used a cookie cutter to create a star. He placed the cutter in middle of a pie tin then filled the outside with beads, removing the tin just before the beAds finished melting.
5. Watering chart- create a chore chart for the children. Have them check off when they have watered each plant. Teaches them about the types of plants and flowers.
For more of Phil Steinhauer's advice, visit www.designscapescolorado.com.