The family of a 2-month-old girl who showed up at a Colorado Springs hospital drunk told police the baby was given vodka by mistake.
The family told police the baby's father had poured vodka into a water bottle, and then her mother mistakenly used that bottle to mix baby formula.
"It was a mistake. It was an honest mistake. I had no idea that there was alcohol in the water bottle," said mother Sarah Smith.
Her 2-month-old daughter, Kristina, is expected to be OK despite having a blood-alcohol content of 0.364 when she and her mother were dropped off at Memorial Hospital in Colorado Springs early Sunday morning.
Hospital spokeswoman Sharon Miracle said alcohol is "virtually a poison" at levels as high as those found in the infant.
"Any time you give alcohol to a child, and at that quantity, it is extremely dangerous," she said.
Smith said when the baby was crying Saturday night, she grabbed Ryan's water bottle to mix the baby formula, but the bottle was filled with vodka.
"I didn't think to smell it. I never do," Smith said.
She said about 20 minutes later, she realized something was wrong.
"She wouldn't respond. She was moving her arms and legs around. Her eyes were droopy and she just wasn't right," Smith said.
Police are still investigating. No charges have been filed. Kristina has been placed into the custody of the El Paso County Department of Human Services pending the outcome of the criminal investigation.
"I love my daughter to death. I would never do anything to harm her in any kind of way," Smith said. "I don't know what I would do if I would have lost her."
A similar situation took place in Erie, Colo., this past October when a 17-month-old boy ended up in the hospital with a blood-alcohol level of 0.195. An emergency room doctor 7NEWS spoke with then was in shock.
"Not to be comatose at that stage, they maybe would've had to have a tolerance," said Dr. Kerry Broderick with Denver Health.
Hospital staff said the extent of the alcohol poisoning is so rare, they're not sure what kind of long-term effects the baby might suffer. They said they've treated the baby for poisoning and hope she will be fine.
Copyright Copyright 2006 by TheDenverChannel.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.