Warner Brothers is among those giving back to the victims and families of the Aurora theater shooting tragedy and they are encouraging support from others in the entertainment industry.
Gov. John Hickenlooper announced Tuesday, contributions to the GivingFirst.org fund has already reached nearly $2 million.
"We are very grateful and encouraged by the support so far for the victims in Aurora," said the governor. "This money will help those impacted by this tragedy begin to recover and rebuild their lives."
Along with Warner Brothers, donations came from numerous individuals, families, corporations and foundations. Many chose to remain anonymous.
Marla Williams, President and CEO of the Community First Foundation, told 7NEWS that many people all across the state want to help.
To me, thats what we are as Coloradans, she said. Not what happened on Friday.
Williams says that money given through Giving First.org will help victims, their families and others affected by the tragedy.
The money would not go to cutting a check to family members, she said. It would be helping by giving grants to organizations that are helping the families cope financially and emotionally in so many ways.
Donations can be made by visiting www.GivingFirst.org. For more information contact Karla Maraccinni at 313-866-3700 or email@example.com.
Other Coloradans have found ways to help victims through donations.
Ed Bozarth, owner of Ed Bozarth Chevrolet, announced his family will donate $50,000.
The $50,000 will be split into two checks -- $30,000 for victims families and $10,000 each to the Aurora police and fire departments.
"I am asking other businesses and citizens in our community and across the nation to open their hearts and checkbooks and contribute generously by donating to help these families attempting to build back their lives," Bozarth said in a news release.
Calvary Chapel in Aurora is offering financial help for funeral costs to the families of the 12 people killed in the shooting. The church is also offering free grief counseling.
The shooting at a midnight premiere of the Warner Brothers' film "The Dark Knight Rises" claimed 12 lives and wounded 58 Friday in Aurora.
Twenty-four-year-old suspect James Holmes remains in isolation at the Arapahoe County Detention Center. Holmes appeared for an initial hearing Monday morning at the Arapahoe County Courthouse. Formal charges will be brought against him Monday.
For more information, visit www.GivingFirst.org
Copyright Report a typo or inaccuracyIf you have a news tip or a follow-up to this story, e-mail us.Copyright 2012 by TheDenverChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.